- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 08-05-2015
7 Tips to Eating Healthy at the State Fair
With the State Fair right around the corner, it can be tempting to indulge in the many unhealthy options that are offered. But there are ways to enjoy the food at the fair while maintaining your healthy eating habits!
1. Don’t drink your calories. Liquid calories can catch up to you quickly. Avoid alcoholic, soda and slushie beverages can add calories to your diet without you realizing it. Bring a bottle of water with you to cut down on cost and calories!
2. Portion control. Many food stands at the fair offer extremely large portions at a high price. Instead, go for the stands with the sample portions, or split these larger portions with a friend. If you go with a group of friends, split the larger items among the group. This is a great way to still enjoy the foods you love without overeating.
3. Explore your options. Rather than stopping at the first stand you see, look around for some healthier options. Check out this list of healthy eating options and where you can find them before you get there: Iowa State Fair Food Healthy Choices. You can also download the Iowa State Fair Food Finder App to have these options with you on the go!
4. Avoid the obvious. Stay away from the foods and treats that will hurt you the most! Foods like funnel cake, cotton candy, and deep fried foods will make it hard to stay under your caloric limits for the day.
5. Choose one. Pick one food item per trip to treat yourself with. Decide which item will be your “cheat” meal and then eat healthier options for other meals.
6. Focus on the Experience. The fair has many things to offer other than the food. Focus on spending quality time with family and friends and creating lifelong memories while enjoying the many attractions the fair has to offer!
7. Burn what you eat! Just like any other time, you must burn off the calories you eat. Be sure to stay active at the fair and try to get a workout in before you go and in the days after!
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.